Through the Diving Safety Program researchers with viable research projects may obtain approval to dive under university auspices, as well as receive free diving training and other benefits.
Anyone planning to use SCUBA diving as a tool for research or study under University auspices must first be registered as a certified Scientific Diver with the Diving Safety Office. This status must be kept current as long as research diving activities continue.
Benefits of taking part in the Diving Safety Program include:
- UBC approval for the use of SCUBA diving as a tool for your studies and research projects.
- Free (or low cost) diver training, including: Advanced and Rescue Diving Techniques, First Aid and CPR, oxygen administration, underwater research techniques and more.
- Networking opportunities with other diving researchers on campus, throughout BC, North America and the world.
- Membership in the Canadian Association for Underwater Science (CAUS), a national body of underwater research institutions and individuals.
- The opportunity to attend national CAUS scientific diving conferences and events.
Contact us for more information and to register for training.